Saturday, November 6, 2010

My new found joy of Canning!

These year I decided to expand my homemaking skills to include canning. I canned 23 jars of peaches and we have already loved them. Dylan will eat peaches every meal of the day if I serve them, he loves them! Also, I have the best recipe for peach cobbler in the world, and my canned peaches are perfect for cobbler! I only wish I had canned more cause we have already used up quite a few jars.

My other canning experience was with apple butter. MMM, yummy. And what is even better is that I made it with my crockpot, which I love! So easy, so good, and they will make great Christmas gifts with a fresh homemade loaf of bread.

My canning started with a new found dedication to food storage and emergency preparedness. I now have a well stocked pantry, fridge, and freezer with lots more in my storage room in the basement. My next two projects are organizing my storage room in the basement and finding a system for all of my recipes. If anyone has any good recipe systems they have, please share!

1 comment:

Stephanie from GardenTherapy.ca said...

I envy your peaches. I tried a friend's home canned peaches and now I'd so love to have some - they are amazing! but peach season is over so it'll be a year from me to wait (boo hoo).